Dating servicse that cater to dog lovers
Wbo has not ligh'd, when dooro*d to leave at last The hopes of youth, the habita of the paat, The thousand ties and inteieata, that impart A aecond nature to the human heart. The following is a copy of the Address spoken by Mrs Siddons : — Who h M not felt, how growing use endears The fend remembnnce of our fanner yean ? Buil-Vailing and cock-fighting were also in vogne, the original printod bills announcing them are now iu the author's possession. As adjunct thereto, there was a bii Uiani lounge, also confectionary department and a Coffee House and hotel, the latter occupying a wing to the south of the Circus. The anraseii Miits at this period were nnmeroos, — oomprieing tea partiefl, and fireworks at Pnmenade Grove, the entrance to which was in Prince's Place, North Street. It was opened in August of the same year, under the lesseeship of Mr Brunton, had a frontage of 100ft., and was of the same depth. Under the able proprietorship and superintendence of Mr. Arthur Bao(m» this hotel most ooiitinue to e^joy its popakritj. In 1808 a permanent Cucuii was erected on the Grand Parade, near the spot occupied by tlie Grand Parade Chapel. These concerts were given three times a week, nnder Ihe superintendence of Mr Forth, who was elected M. The Ball and Assembly Boom was converted into the Boyal Chapel and consecrated, remaining as saeh till the Boyal property came into the possession of the town, — when, in 1850, in accordance with airangement, it was razed to the ground and the materials sold to Was Wagner (sister of the Vicar), and re-erected in Montpelier Place, known as St. George Wagner receiving the ai pointment as officiating clergyman, and now held by the Rev. The Old Ship Hotel is of long established r^^putation, and is renowned for the admirable manner in which its yisitors are catered for. Henry Nye Chart, who has recently re- erected and beautified the same, and» in conjunction with his worthy partner, — a nraoh-esteemed lady, cater for the public requirements in a manner beyond all praise, en* gaging the first talent on the boards in their desire to gratify the frequenters of their establishment. Seyeral persons vrho had attempted to get m, became overpowered by the heat, and in endea Tonnng to retrace their steps, created great oonfnsion. So early as three o'clook In the afternoon the people began to assemble about the pit and gallery doorb, and at lialf-past four tlie pressure "was 80 very great, tliat those who had attended early, in the hope of getting a good situation, were driven from the doors by the rush of those who were under the arches.
On the 6th of February, 187 1, the compiler, in compliance with the request before alluded to, gave Digitized by Google PREFACE. Charles Kemble sostaining the prin- dpal chai EBoterk In the month of Ang OBt, in the year 1809, Mrs. 8IDDON8, Bwfiwrtytefcwfi nr i L l tt Mw iiiwit ftou flw •tafflhh MMuwtodtoftpv Mri B Two w Thi M ol bar PBOrai PAL Offim OCTBS. Numerous have been its heut in qw : for many yeani it was held on the Clifi^ between Black Lion Street and Ship Street, afterwards in Belle Vue Field, — ^now covered by the Regency Square property, — ^from thence transferred to the Northern Enclosure; next held on St. Peter's Church stands ; then upon the Level ; afterwards upon the Boyal Cricket Ground, known as Ireland's Tea Gardens, where it was established for several years ; sub- sequ Mitly veoovend its old quarteisi the Level ; again was Digitized by Google 9 95 held north of tho Level, in Bkker's and Tilly's Fields, on the Lewes Boad; and finally the remnant of this ancient custom ekes out its miserable existence in a field near the Queen's Park. Here is an inierestins^ deeoription of Siddo Bs* farewell of tlio public, a short Urne after, at Co vent Garden Theatre : — )^ **'na B celelnaied aoins B last night dosed hex pvo- fessional oaxeer at this Theatre, in the part of 'Lady Macbeth/ for her own benefit. Doors to be opened at Half-past Six o'clock, and to begin at Haif-p Ast Seven pradsely ; xu) l Oaoat ttin IM kitpt aftov tt M Iii A Of ti M VM ^ Boxes, 5b.— Pit, 23. Tickets to be had, and Places in the Boxes to bo taken, of Mx PHSLi.cn, at the llk Mt M, from Vltfta IQl Thzaa. Her salary was £6 per week, and that of Mr Siddons, 408. Mrs Siddons first a Fpeared in the Theatie Boyal* Psiuy Lane, in 1776, under an engagement,— made irith Mr Siddons, at Cheltenham, that snrnmer,— for }Sx Ganiok.